Marvel’s Infinity – Thanos is Back! Everything Dies!
Any time Thanos the Mad Titan, Marvel’s cosmic powerhouse of a destroyer, is involved in a major event, it’s a safe bet that the story is going to be at least a little bit awesome.
What makes Infinity a cut above, though, is the fact that Thanos – he of “I’ve destroyed half of all of existence in order to impress the lady embodiment of death” fame – isn’t even the biggest threat for much of the event! In the hands of Marvel NOW! Avengers architect Jonathan Hickman, Infinity is a rollicking, high stakes mega-event that lives up to the size and scope of Marvel event hype.
Although the primary Marvel universe has certainly dealt with space before (Secret Invasion, World War Hulk (kinda)), Infinity is the first modern mega-event to really weave the Marvel cosmic universe into the fabric of earth-bound heroes such as Captain America. Infinity could have derailed very easily, but the end result is a tightly wound epic meticulously plotted out over the course of three primary titles: Infinity, Avengers, & New Avengers.
As is my lot with these reading guides, you’ll see all relevant crossovers and tie-ins below. Keep in mind with Infinity, that if you stick to the three primary Avengers titles, you will get the most cohesive narrative (all three are written by Hickman). You’ll also find Inhumanity, a semi-event that reads as more of an epilogue to Infinity, at the end of this guide.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns about this list, I can be reached here. Enjoy!
Previous: Age of Ultron
Super Previous: The Complete Thanos Reading Order!
Infinity Trade Reading Order
- Infinity Hardcover
- Collecting: Infinity 1-6, New Avengers 7-12, Avengers 14-23, Infinity: Against the Tide Infinite Comic 1-2
- Infinity Companion
- Collecting: Captain Marvel 15-16, Thunderbolts 14-18, Avengers Assemble 18-20, Infinity: The Hunt 1-4, Mighty Avengers 1-3, Nova 8-9, Superior Spider-Man Team-Up 3-4, Infinity: Heist 1-4, Fearless Defenders 10, Secret Avengers 10-11, Guardians Of The Galaxy 8-9, Wolverine & The X-Men Annual 1
The Complete Issue by Issue Reading Order List
Thanos Rising #1-#5
- Not so much a tie-in as it is the “origin” of Thanos. It’s also one of the worst Thanos comics I’ve ever read in my life. I list it here simply for the sake of completion – if you’re unclear who Thanos is, I’d recommend you actually start with Silver Surfer: The Rebirth of Thanos.
- These four issues of Avengers are officially labeled “Prelude to Infinity.” In reality, Jonathan Hickman’s entire Avengers run to date has been a set-up for this moment, and if you have a Marvel Unlimited account, or a desire for completion, I’d really recommend you read the initial Avengers issues as well. Hickman’s approach doesn’t exactly lead to your father’s Avengers, so you’ll be much better suited for these prelude issues and Infinity if you’re aware of the new team dynamics and discoveries.
New Avengers #8
- Couple notes here. First, this issue is labeled “Prelude to Infinity” as well. Nonetheless, I’d read this after the first main Infinity issue, as the ending here occurs clearly after the events of Infinity have begun. Second, New Avengers follows the same logic as Hickman’s Avengers. The whole series has led to the moment of Infinity and will be referenced throughout. You can catch up starting here.
Infinity: Against the Tide #1 & #2 (Marvel Infinite Digital Comics)
Nova #8 – #9
Avengers Assemble #18
Captain Marvel #15
Mighty Avengers #1-#3
Infinity: The Hunt #1 – #4
- Just a word of warning, this one’s not much of a tie-in until the very end. An interesting concept that’s unfortunately tedious despite writing from Mind Mgmt’s Matt Kindt. If you’re going to engage with it, I’d just knock the whole thing out at once.
New Avengers #9
New Avengers #10
Captain Marvel #16
- Events here occur during the events of Infinity #3. There’s some overlap, but I prefer to get my story from the main arc and then fill in the details with this Captain Marvel issue.
Avengers Assemble #19
Infinity: Heist #1
Thunderbolts #17 – #18
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #3 – #4
Avengers Assemble #20
New Avengers #11
Infinity: Heist #2 – #4
Fearless Defenders #10
Secret Avengers #10 – #11
Avengers #22 & #23
Guardians of the Galaxy #8 – #9
New avengers #12
Wolverine and X-Men Annual #1
Epilogue: Thanos: A God Up There Infinite Comic
Inhumanity Reading Order and Issue by Issue List
Trade collection released June 17, 2014.
Inhumanity: The Awakening #1
Inhumanity: The Awakening #2
Avengers A.I. #7
Avengers Assemble #21
Avengers Assemble #22
Avengers Assemble #23.INH
Inhumanity: Superior Spider-Man #1
Mighty Avengers #4
Mighty Avengers #5.INH
Avengers Assemble #24
Avengers Assemble #25
Indestructible Hulk #17.INH
Indestructible Hulk #18.INH
Indestructible Hulk #19.INH
Indestructible Hulk #20
Uncanny X-Men #15.INH
New Avengers #13
Iron Man #20.INH
Next: Original Sin