Avengers Disassembled Changes Everything
The above, of course, rings true for just about every Marvel solicit ever. THIS COMIC WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!! It’s understandable as a sales pitch, but there are few instances were it’s actually true.
With Avengers Disassembled? They really weren’t kidding.
It’s not just the action within the pages of Avengers Disassembled either, although there’s some good, even great drama here. No, more than anything Avengers Disassembled kicks off the event-centric Marvel of the 2000’s. You’ll find plenty of detractors, but for my money the level of universe-coordination and sense that these comics are building to something HUGE are part of what makes 2000-era Marvel Comics so enjoyable.
And it all really starts here with Avengers Disassembled. We don’t get to Civil War, or Secret Invasion, or House of M without the trials faced here by the likes of Captain America, Iron Man and company.
So, without further ado, here is my suggested reading order for Avengers Disassembled and assorted tie-ins, along with Marvel Digital Comics suggested issue-by-issue reading order. Enjoy!
Previously: Marvel Knights Reading Order
Avengers Disassembled Trade Reading Timeline
- Thor (80-85)
- Avengers Disassembled
- Iron Man: Disassembled (84-89)
- Captain America: Disassembled (Collects Captain America 29-32 and Captain America & The Falcon 5-7)
- A couple notes here: 1) The events of the Iron Man and Captain America trades begin before Avengers Disassembled, but run concurrent with the major event eventually. I read the individual tie-ins after reading Avengers Disassembled as a whole and enjoyed them fine that way. If you’re worried about issue-by-issue overlap, I suggest stopping according to the order posted below. 2) Although they are sold separately, I much prefer the Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man Disassembled collection. It’s a nice trade, and honestly a better bargain.
- Fantastic Four (517-519)
- Spectacular Spider-Man (15-19)
- This one gets the slightly less essential indent because it’s not much of a tie-in at all. This is really just an average Spectacular Spider-Man story with a cameo by Captain America. Nonetheless, Marvel insists the trade is Spectacular Spider-Man: Disassembled so have at it.
The Official Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited Event Reading Order
- Thor #80
- Thor #81
- Thor #82
- Thor #83
- Thor #84
- Thor #85
- Iron Man #84
- Iron Man #85
- Spectacular Spider-Man #15
- Spectacular Spider-Man #16
- Spectacular Spider-Man #17
- Spectacular Spider-Man #18
- Spectacular Spider-Man #19
- Spectacular Spider-Man #20
- Captain America & The Falcon #5
- Captain America & The Falcon #6
- Captain America & The Falcon #7
- Captain America #29
- Avengers #500
- Iron Man #86
- Avengers #501
- Avengers #502
- Captain America #30
- Captain America #31
- Captain America #32
- Avengers #503
- Iron Man #87
- Iron Man #88
- Iron Man #89
- Avengers Finale #1
- Fantastic Four #517
- Fantastic Four #518
- Fantastic Four #519
- Issue #519 marks the conclusion of the (very loosely) tied-in Disassembled story. Nonetheless, it’s pretty much smack dab in the middle of a story that continues through Fantastic Four #524. These issues are included in the next order, but if you’re enjoying, now is just as good a time to read!
- Excalibur #8
- I cannot in any way endorse this run on Excalibur, but it does set up some future X-Men/Avengers events. If you’re extremely invested in full continuity, and also really want to know what the heck happened after the end of New X-Men, you can click here for the Excalibur trade.
If you like what you see on Comic Book Herald, or want more of a personal guide to the Marvel Universe, I recommend checking out the Comic Book Herald reading club. Join hundreds of new, returning, and faithful comic book readers as we navigate hand-picked selection from the Marvel comics library!
Heroically Support Comic Book Herald!
If you like Comic Book Herald, and are able to donate, any small contribution will help keep CBH alive and full of new comics guides and content. Donate here! Or learn more about easy ways to support Comic Book Hearld! Thank you for reading!